A pantry is a great way to store food and other kitchen items within the kitchen but out of your cabinets. Since pantries come in many sizes, that leaves an endless variety of options on how you can best organize the pantry for your household. In a disorganized pantry, it is easy to lose things in the pantry but with some basic organization, you can keep that from happening.
- Start by cleaning out items you don’t use or have expired. There is no reason to organize items that you will never use so start with this step. Moving forward, it’s a good idea to periodically clean out the pantry to toss items that you purchased but never got used for whatever reason. I would recommend during in January and sometime over the summer.
- Group items by the frequency you use them. There is no reason to have the rarely used karo syrup stored in the most accessible location.
- It’s also a good idea to group items by size. Storing a small container of spices next to a family size box of cereal will waste space in your pantry plus confuse everyone.
- Purchase bins and storage containers. There are lots of places to buy them, but dollar stores offer a lot of options in a variety of shapes and sizes. These can be great for small items like granola bars and other snacks, canned goods and baking essentials like chocolate chips and nuts. Some items just don’t stack well, and this will keep your pantry looking neat and help you find something quickly when you are looking for it.
- Don’t forget the door of your pantry. Some doors may not offer great options but many of them will allow you to add shelves that can provide additional storage for canned goods, spices and other items.
Even the best organization won’t last if you never take the time to put anything away. At a minimum of once a day, take a quick look at the pantry and make sure everything is in its place. With multiple hands in the pantry, things can get moved but a daily check will keep everything where you want it and save you time in the long run.
If you have any additional questions about updating or organizing your home, I will be happy to answer any questions you may have, help you to find your dream home and/or determine the value of your existing property.
Nancy Davidson is your ultimate real estate resource for Mammoth Lakes, CA and The Eastern Sierra. Visit my website for detailed information regarding today’s real estate markets.
Image courtesy of Vivian Evans/Flickr.com.